Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Best of '09 -- Challenge

I had plans last year.  Plans for how my life would be like in the next couple years.  I was working part time at a financial advising firm.  One I had been with for about 3 years, while I was going to college.  They had told me when I was hired on that it was very likely I would have a full time job waiting for me when I graduated college.  So I planned. I would graduate in June 2010 and get married in June 2010 and it would be perfect timing! Everything would be wonderful! 

But the economy didn't play nice.  The financial industry was hit hard, and my firm suffered a great deal.  I was laid off in November 2008.  I figured, no worries.  It can't be that hard to find another part time job!  I'll just apply for unemployment until I get back on my feet.  Until I was denied benefits because I was going to school full time. I've had a couple of seasonal positions this past year, but other than that I have been without work.  I've even had to borrow money from the 'rents to make due.  (Which is something I promised myself I would never do.)

I have been at my wits end with this job search.  I'll take anything. Except there is nothing to take.  The unemployment rate is close to 12% in my valley.  That's a lot of people competing with me for jobs.  People who have more open schedules than I do.  So this year, I have been challenged to not lose hope.  I  know there is something out there for me.  And I need to believe I will find it soon. 

1 comment:

Matthew Lee said...

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. - 1 Thessalonians 5:24. Hang in there Mandy, God will do it.